In Dauntless there are different weapons to finish with the Behemoths, the Axe is one of them and we have created a complete guide explaining in detail how it works. You’ll also find the complete list of axes that currently exists in Dauntless so that you can find the one that best suits your way of playing.
In general, the axe is quite slow compared to other weapons, also spends a lot of energy with each attack, especially when you make a charge in advance, but if you’re skilled enough with time control in the attack and synchronization, it can be incredibly powerful in the right hands.
What are you going to find here?
Dauntless weapons: Axe
The Axe is one of, if not, the slowest and heavy hitting weapon in Dauntless but it packs a devastating punch when you manage to carefully place your attacks. It is a Slashing weapon which means it deals extra Part damage to horns and tails.
The Axe has a variety of horizontal and vertical strikes that can be charged up to various levels to increase their attack power. Also, you can finish off your vertical combo with the powerful Ripper attack that will last as long as you have the Stamina to maintain it.
The axe has two mechanics: Resolve and Determination
- Resolve: is a super armor-like mechanic where you charge your weapon to level three and on a perfect charge you receive super armor to absorb an attack which helps with its slow pace and dealing with some of the Behemoths attacks.
- Determination: is the mechanic that gives the Axe more chances to succeed, it increases your damage which as the fight goes on.
Your horizontal charge allows you to actually move while charging which is usually your best tool to preemptively start combos.
When charging the Axe, look for the brightest flash on your character and release for maximum damage.
The axe has 2 special abilites:
- Flight of Ruin which allows you to throw your Axe to deal damage from a distance and can be recalled the deal powerful finishing blow. This special is available from the start of the game.
- Grim Onslaught throw the axe forward, damaging enemies in its path before landing a distance away. Hitting a Behemoth can generate Resolve and will bounce the axe back towards the user. Available from the axe mastery level 8.
Best Axe in Dauntless
Currently we highlight two axes of the game that are very good for combat, these are:
- Name: Inferno’s Decree
- Power: 100-550
- Elemental Power: +80 Blaze
- Perks: +1~3 Overpower
- Cells slots: Power Cell and Power Cell
- Unique Effects: The sixth hit in quick succession deals 250 bonus damage and major blaze damage
Hellion’s third weapon is considered the best axe in the game, benefits from the 250 damage bonus on the sixth stroke. You can even make it more effective in certain circumstances with cells like Predatory (increases damage after avoiding damage for a short time) or Peacemaker (increases damage against rabid giants).
- Name: Stalker’s Mercy
- Power: 100-550
- Elemental Power: +80 Umbral
- Perks: +1~3 Wild Frenzy
- Cells slots: Technique Cell and Utility Cell
- Unique Effects: Dealing damage has a chance (based on damage dealt) to generate a Shadow Orb that increases damage dealt by 2.5% for 5 seconds. If 5 or more Orbs are present, the bonus doubles.
Stalker’s Mercy is undoubtedly one of the best axes in the game thanks to its passive that allows players to benefit from 8% more attack speed when life falls below 30%.
It may seem a bit suicidal and difficult to use as a passive skill, but the chances of being less than 30% of the life bar will be many.
We recommend the combination of Stalker’s Mercy + Skarn flashlight (which gives a shield), as the shield effect does not count as life and allows you to make use of the passive axe.
This axe is a umbral type, very useful against most behemoths in the game (except Riftsalker and Shrowd), which makes it a profitable weapon for a component investment if you want to improve it.
Finally, the Axe type of weapon is very popular with players, as it allows, without much difficulty, to break Behemoths limbs or stun them during their attacks and maximize the damage once they are on the ground. Note that an 8% higher attack speed on an axe is not negligible to achieve an explosion on a giant earth or focus on a part of the body to cut it.
What style of play do the axes fit into?
Axes are great for players who like to play tactical. They’re less responsive because of the slow strokes, as they do a lot of damage with powerful combos.
They are suitable for team games as well as solo hunting. However, they require more practice with more difficult opponents than quick and maneuverable weapons (such as the sword).
If you play alone: when you play alone the axes are adequate to do as much damage as you can during the duration of the combat. They have the ability to numb a giant and are also suitable for cutting certain parts. Due to the great damage, even the strongest behemoths with a little practice fall easily.
If you play on a team: on a hunt with several Slayers, you interrupt certain attacks, but also cause huge damage and are responsible for cutting the horns and tails.
List of all Axes
|Song of the Shrike||
|Edge of Dawn||
|Reaper of Night||
|Turmoil of Boreus||